Happiness is filling your life with strong moments
Consider the following two laws of physics and math
- A closed system becomes more disordered over time (2nd law of thermodynamics)
- A system cannot demonstrate its own consistency (Gödel’s 2nd incompleteness theorem)
The fact that both of these laws are ‘2nd s’ reminds me of factory seconds. Those jeans with the funny stitching and lopsided pockets are a result of a system disordering over time and proof that the procedure to make those pants cannot be proven to be inextricably perfect.
Ignoring these natural laws can result in having a ‘factory seconds’ kind of day.
There is a cure; it involves measuring and analyzing your strong moments.
What is a strong moment you ask?
A strong moment is any experience that gives you an emotional high or a jolt of energy.
I decided to list my strong moments over the course of 6 months. Every few days I would send myself an email listing all of the strong moments I could think of. I predicted what kinds of strong moments I’d have.
- Hedonistic fun – 30%
- Enjoyable interaction with 5 or 6 strong people – 30%
- Flow experience – 30%
- Unknown – 10%
The Results – based on a representative sample of 336 moments
- Inspired and motivated by ideas – 40%
- Enjoyable interaction with 25 strong people – 25%
- Accomplishment euphoria – 25%
- Fun – 10%
I found this to be an eye-opening experience, here’s what I learned.
- Reflective perspective is different than anticipatory – how you feel after something can be much better than how you feel going into it
- Smashing through a painful task makes you stronger
- Schedule time with strong people, don’t limit yourself to just a few
- You can have a strong moment with almost anyone
- Pondering strong moments has a positive effect on your physiology
- Patterns start to emerge, these patterns are your strength statements
Inject positivity in your mindspace so you can look at the right things the right way
Mastering yourself is true power – Lao Tzu